Some CUSA fans thought that the addition of Old Dominion last season would help them get more than one NCAA dance ticket. It didn’t as USM & Louisiana Tech became just the third and fourth teams in NCAA Basketball history to miss the NCAA Tournament with 27 wins. Tulsa won the CUSAT and took the lone Dance ticket. IMO, the CUSA rarely gets judged more on it’s weak history than on it’s improving quality of teams
1. UTEP Miners : Lew Stallworth, the point guard recruit, from Los Angeles is getting a lot of hype| and could bolster big man Vince Huter
2. UAB Blazers | Big time recruit William Lee will be make the Blazers even tougher under the boards.
3. Old Dominion Monarchs | Jeff Jones is a decent coach and has brought in some JC transfers to bolster the Bacate & Batten show.
4. Charlotte 49ers | Pierre Henry & the Niners could surprise some teams.
5. Louisiana Tech Bulldogs | Appelby and Hamnilton are a strong backcourt but not enough to prevent a small descent.
6. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers | Brandon Price and crew will be in the middle of the pack in their first CUSA season
7.Southern Miss Golden Eagles– Eagles lost some starters and new Coach Sadler will be be re-building
8. Marshall Thundering Herd : Is Nikolic from Serbia part of a successful Dantoni plan?
9. Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders | Raiders lost their biggest contributors from last season.
10. Florida Atlantic Owls | They’ll miss Bertone, last season’s leading scorer.
11North Texas Mean Green |
12. Florida International Golden Panthers |
13. UTSA Roadrunners |
14. Rice Owls
New- Western Kentucky
Departed – Tulsa, Tulane and East Carolina
Four new head coaches Dan D’Antoni (Marshall) and Michael Curry (FAU) — joining veteran Doc Sadler (Southern Miss) replacing Tyndall who went to Tennessee, and rookie Mike Rhoades (Rice) in the league.
12/18/14- ODU has 2 nice OOC wins over LSU and VCU
1/5/15- ODU edges Charlotte and stays hot going into CUSA play
LA Tech and WKU are 4-0 and sit atop the CUSA. Side note :
Kentucky reportedly “backed out” of talks to play a game against UTEP in 2016, one which Miners coach Tim Floyd had intended to make a celebration for the 50th anniversary of Kentucky and Texas Western’s 1966 NCAA title game.
1/25/15: MU 78 utep 71. WKU 83 UTSA 74
Impressed with Marshalls front court, particularly R. Taylor 17 Pts, 10 Reb, 4 Ast, 1 St yesterday, getting their first CUSA win this season . UTSA gave WKU a fight early but lost. Here’s where I stand with a little more than a month to go.
On the left my prognostications. Nailed NT, way off on WKU.
Big win for Marshall yesterday-Loop was great, and they’ve made serious progress since my Jan 25 th post. UTEP has moved to 2nd. In () is my pre-season prediction. really got Charlotte wrong, so far.